VA Extends ‘Agent Orange’ Benefits

Oct 14 2009

Published by at 6:27 pm under Military Benefits,VA Benefits

News from the VA on the latest illnesses attributed to Agent Orange.
—————
If you have questions or need help working with the VA on your claim, I recommend you contact your county Veteran Service Officer who works for your state government VA Department. To find your nearest county service officer refer to
this VA web site for state VA DepartmentsI find the state VSOs to be helpful because they can counsel on both state and federal programs.

——————–

VA Extends “Agent Orange” Benefits to More Veterans

Parkinson’s Disease, Two Other Illnesses Recognized

WASHINGTON (Oct. 13, 2009) – Relying on an independent study by the Institute of Medicine, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki decided to establish a service-connection for Vietnam Veterans with three specific illnesses based on the latest evidence of an association with the herbicides referred to Agent Orange.

The illnesses affected by the recent decision are B cell leukemias, such as hairy cell leukemia; Parkinson’s disease; and ischemic heart disease.

Used in Vietnam to defoliate trees and remove concealment for the enemy, Agent Orange left a legacy of suffering and disability that continues to the present.  Between January 1965 and April 1970, an estimated 2.6 million military personnel who served in Vietnam were potentially exposed to sprayed Agent Orange.

In practical terms, Veterans who served in Vietnam during the war and who have a “presumed” illness don’t have to prove an association between their illnesses and their military service.  This “presumption” simplifies and speeds up the application process for benefits.

The Secretary’s decision brings to 15 the number of presumed illnesses recognized by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

“We must do better reviews of illnesses that may be connected to service, and we will,” Shinseki added. “Veterans who endure health problems deserve timely decisions based on solid evidence.”

Other illnesses previously recognized under VA’s “presumption” rule as being caused by exposure to herbicides during the Vietnam War are:

·                              Acute and Subacute Transient Peripheral Neuropathy

·                              AL Amyloidosis

·                              Chloracne

·                              Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia

·                              Diabetes Mellitus (Type 2)

·                              Hodgkin’s Disease

·                              Multiple Myeloma

·                              Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma

·                              Porphyria Cutanea Tarda

·                              Prostate Cancer

·                              Respiratory Cancers, and

·                              Soft Tissue Sarcoma (other than Osteosarcoma, Chondrosarcoma, Kaposi’s sarcoma, or Mesothelioma)

Additional information about Agent Orange and VA’s services and programs for Veterans exposed to the chemical are available at www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange.

38 Responses to “VA Extends ‘Agent Orange’ Benefits”

1. OKJack™Group™on 21 Oct 2009 at 8:13 pm

Our question is, “Do the maladies listed mean an automatic 100% VA disability rating…or just more red tape?”

We can’t figure out why rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis are not “recognized under VA’s “presumption” rule as being caused by exposure to herbicides during the Vietnam War.”

OKJack™Group™
    Middle & Working Class Disabled American Veterans
    We Paid the Dues that Aren’t Required!™

Note: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange.

2. stanford swimon 21 Oct 2009 at 8:20 pm

does anyone know if melamona is on the agent orange list??

3. LTC Morganon 21 Oct 2009 at 9:56 pm

A friend served aboard a hospital ship anchored in one of the harbors in Vietnam, during the war. He was medevaced due to a spinal injury and was forced to spend 24 hrs in-country, not t mention the medical mercy missions he and his comrades made in-country to treat the local population. Despite the pictures he has, the Navy has no record of his being aboard the ship or in country prior to evacuation.

The VA continues to send him letters stating that they are “evaluating” his claim (he has Parkinson’s like symptoms, diabetes, and prostate cancer). What does it take to get the VA off the dime and give him a presumptive 100% rating?

4. Ralph M Bowlingon 21 Oct 2009 at 10:35 pm

I am a retired Marine Capt. (O-3E) with 25 years service. I have been certified to the Oregon Registry for Agent Orange Type II diabetes. What, if any, benefits would I expect to receive if I pursue filing a claim at this time?

Ralph m. Bowling, Capt. USMC, (Ret’d)

5. Lt James Moreau USN Ret.on 21 Oct 2009 at 11:01 pm

During the Vietnam war, I made three cruises to Vietnam while assigned to Attack Squardron 27 and one cruise while assigned to Fighter Squadron 96.
    VA 27 was an A-7 squadron. They were adding a substance to the fuel while on deck that reduced the amount of smoke from the engine. I know it was toxic, because the barrels that they pumped it from had a skull and crossbones on it and it said danger. The personnel that handled it wore rubber aprons, boots, gloves and a plastic face mask like surgeons wear now.

My question is: Have you ever heard of any problems resulting from this solution? I have no idea what is was, but we had to breathe it.

6. Robert L Adamson 22 Oct 2009 at 12:06 am

Where can I find out what the benefits are and how to apply for them?

7. Jerry Birdon 22 Oct 2009 at 12:34 pm

How many Viet Nam Vets have been diagnosed with “ACUTE LYMPHOCYTIC LEUKEMIA” and had their claims denied?

8. Kathleen Richardsonon 22 Oct 2009 at 2:58 pm

Just sharing info: In 2005 my husband Ed Richardson (LtCol, USAF-Ret.), was diagnosed with two types of prostate cancer – one, an adenocarcinoma, was treatable; the other, an aggressive, fast growing one called small cell prostate cancer was not. Since Ed had served two tours in Vietnam, a friend suggested Ed file for a disability related to Agent Orange, which he did. The information is online. The VA gave him a 100% disability rating, which increased his monthly pay considerably.

Of course, after he died 11 months’ after his diagnosis, the money disappeared as did my SBP in lieu of the higher amount from the Dependent Indemnity Compensation (DIC).

9. LCDR William Asmussenon 22 Oct 2009 at 9:08 pm

INFO FOR ALL. I served 2 in-country tours during my enlisted service which encompassed all 4 “corps”. I was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and applied to the VA for a disability rating (use VA Form 21-526). The process took over 7 months for the VA to render a decision – obtaining all the necessary records seemed to be the major hurdle (enlisted personnel records, enlisted medical records, officer records likewise, not to mention 3 DD-214’s, civilian Dr. records, lab results and diagnosis, and finally an in-person evaluation by the VA). I have been rated at 100% for the CLL and am drawing CRDP as a result.

The process is not complicated if you pay attention to the forms and complete them correctly (I did not use a VSO, but they can be very helpful). The folks at the VA always treated me with courtesy and respect and answered my monthly phone queries patiently and without condescension.

All should note that in-country service is the determining factor. Shipboard service or air missions launched from outside RVN apparently are insufficient for a “presumptive” finding.

10. Betty Hillon 23 Oct 2009 at 12:06 am

Last year my husband, a Vietnam Veteran, was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He was treated in Jacksonville, Fl. at the Univ. of Florida Proton Therapy Institute. There are very few if any side effects from this treatment. The web site is http://www.floridaproton.org. 904-588-1800.

11. wessley s. scott jron 23 Oct 2009 at 4:23 am

I now draw 10% agent orange for type II diabetis. I also draw 100% for coronary arterydisease (ischemic heart disease) and have been since 1999. what action do i need to take to get 100% CRSC?

12. Marvin S. Crowon 28 Oct 2009 at 5:33 pm

I served in VN for a year and submitted a claim to the VA approximately 8 months ago. My ssn is 226-34-5575. My rank is LTC (Ret). To date I have not received a reply from the VA. Can you assist me in getting a reply from them ASAP. I have been diagnosed with lymphatic melanoma and have had surgery to remove the diseased tissues. I have also undergone radiation treatments.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Marvin S. Crow

13. Brooxsie V Wrighton 29 Oct 2009 at 5:04 pm

while my husband was in the service they used him & others to test AGENT ORANGE & MUSTARD GAS for years he went from doctor to doctor trying to find the problem he was told he could go on disablity because of the pain [but they would want a reason for it which we couldn’t get] we didn’t know he’d had contact with these gases until after he had a double stroke june 11,2005 he said all his bones hurt & his head burned we all started to think he was nuts when I understood he wanted to apply for his army benifits is when I learned this [he is paralized on his right side & can’t speak] he used to be able to do numbers in his head instantly [now he can’t even spell a simple word & he gets terribly frustraded when I can’t read his mind]we appiled & were told he was 100% eligible we went to the va doctor & he said he was a 100% eligible & that AGENT ORANGE VICTIMS WERE IMMEDIATELY RECIEVE BENIFITS [we’re still waiting] I wrote the governor & then va said he was eligble but not how much & we waited then they said he was 60% & would get $39.00 back pay & $29.oo a month there after we wrote back that he’s eligble for the full amount SO NOW HE GETS NOTHING since then I’ve learned 1 benifit alone pays $960.00 a month but we see nothing in the meantime some one saw a way to steal our home & since they had FRIENDS IN THE CITY OFFICALS [THE CITY HELPED THEM] we were told we had no rights & when I sued THE CHANGED THE COURT DATE when they found out I had pictures THEY BURNED OUR CAR when they found out I was refiled they lied to us & as I refiled THEY CAME & STOLE OUR DOGS FROM MY HELPLESS HUSBAND court told them I was right & to let us get our things THEY LET US PACK FOR 3 DAYS THEN THEY DROVE OFF WITH ALL OUR BELONGINGS & OUR HOME WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN PAID OFF LAST OCT but because we can’t afford a lawyer [since va let us down] WE LIVED ON THE STREET FOR 6 MONTHS STALKED BY THE POLCE & WE DIDN’T GET A THING FROM OUR HOME JUST WHAT WAS ON OUR BACKS I’ve called every lawyer pro bono etc but with no money no help HOW IS IT WE HAVE NO RIGHTS I LOST RELATIVES IN THE SERVICE & MY DAD DID HORRIBLE THINGS TO ME BECAUSE OF WHAT HE SUFFERD OVER THERE & SHELL SHOCK [WHICH SO FAR I DON’T REMEBER] HOW DO WE GET JUSTICE WHEN THE VERY PEOPLE WE PAID TAXES TO PROTECT US ROB US OF ALL HOMES & EVERYTHING IN IT & THEN STALK US BECAUSE THEY PUT US ON THE STREET & SAY WE HAVE NO RIGHTS

14. buckon 30 Oct 2009 at 5:58 pm

Capt. R. Bowling,

I too am a former Marine and VN Vet with type II Diabetes. I receive 30% disability compensation on that along with an associated proble. It is my understanding however, each case looked at individually. In other words it’s not an automatic 10, 20, 30 % claim. I also get 10% for loss of hearing, plus a special compensation for other problems. I know guys that get more, and some less for the same. In my opinion it is well worth your time and effort to make application.

For any other readers, I personally have never had a claim denied, nor any problems with the VA system. Granted it is a slow one process, usually six months or more before all the red tape has run, but I’ve allways received my claim in time. Remember …it’s a government run program!!

Semper Fi “Skipper”! Buck

15. Gene Garretton 02 Nov 2009 at 4:27 am

I served in Vietnam, retired in 1995 and was diagnosed with Diabetes in 2005.

Although I was diagnoised with T2 Diabetes in 2005 and after understanding the symptoms I am sure I came down with it during Desert Storm when my eyes went nuts – blurry some days and fine others. Anyone with diabetes knows what I mean.

I saw a flight doc there (Saudia Arabia) after the three day ‘war’ and he told me it was age related. He wrote it on a form and I went back to days of vision so poor I had to read the approach plates by tossing them on the cabin floor.

After getting back in the states I ended up using three pairs of reading glasses depending on how bad the eyes were that day and believing it was just age related vision problems.

Finally after years dealing with all the symptoms of Diabetes in 2005 a doctor found the problem – T2 Diabetes.

Thank goodness it wasn’t something quick and deadlier that was missed for years by numerous flight physicals and flight surgeons.

Wondering where those medical forms ended up?

16. buckon 02 Nov 2009 at 6:01 pm

Gene, If you were “boots on the ground” for 24 hours or more “in country Vietnam”, you are more than likely eligible for a disability from the VA.

17. Geraldine Dunneon 04 Nov 2009 at 8:12 pm

My husband, Lt.Col. Robert V. Dunne was a helicopter pilot in VN from 66-67 and had all kinds of problems which were constantly denied by the VA, he couldn’t even get into a VA hosp. for a Dr. visit after serving this country for 20 yrs.!! He died in 2002 and I always thought and so did he, that he had Agent Orange….but ran into a brick wall all the time. Shortly before his death we did get to see a Dr. at the VA hosp. in Oteeen, in Asheville, N.C. He died of Parkinson’s disease along with alzheimer”s…….where do I get some help with his claim?

18. noreen hammon 06 Nov 2009 at 6:26 pm

This is for Geraldine Dunne, you call your va center RIGHT NOW.FILE A CLAIM PARKINSONS IN ON THE LIST OF ILLNESS CAUSED BY AGENT ORANGE.

19. OKJack™Group™on 11 Nov 2009 at 7:14 pm

Lt. Col. Ostrom:

If you are actively facilitating this web site, we strongly recommend that you delete the social security number of Lt. Col. Crow (7 comments above ours).

Since readers (especially the elderly) are just naturally going to be inclined to put otherwise private and personal information on this web site—you should tell your readers that this web site IS NOT SECURE.

As a matter of fact, this web site can be viewed and read from New York to Moscow to Shanghai to Kabul to Baghdad et al.

OKJack™Group™
    Middle & Working Class Disabled American Veterans
    We Paid the Dues that Aren’t Required!™

20. Dale Vernonon 13 Dec 2009 at 10:55 pm

ENCOURAGEMENT TO THOSE FILING CLAIMS; I served in Nam 66-67 as a huey gunner. I went into a coma Aug 2008 & was ambulanced to a local community hospital. Intensive care 3 days..acl 900+ (almost croaked). Finally got a bed at Seattle Va hosp. & finished up there. Diagnosed with Diabetes 2. Presumptive disability (Agent Orange). Been under VA care since. Took 8 mos to get my Va disabiltiy claim apprvd…getting 40%, also jacked up to priorty grp 2. VA paid my local hosp bill of over 22k..within 90 days…not 1 collection call from bill collectors. Also paid other minor bills involved with my care mostly on the slow side after I paid them first to avoid collection agencies. Love my free VA shoes keeps the pain in my feet down. VA has also done cataracts on both eyes..no charge…get all my insulin & supplies free. Loaned me an apnea machine & Viterion 100 to use. Drs & pharmacists have been great in experimenting with various insulins & doses for control. My impression…they do care even if the VA’s bean counters don’t.
    GET TREATED AND KEEP FILING!

21. Duane Brudvigon 28 Dec 2009 at 10:16 pm

I recently found out that my heart disease will be one of the diseases that Agent Orange caused. I have filed a claim and want to know how long it will take or will it get denied. I served in Vietnam, saw maps of the areas that were sprayed at the time that I was there, lived in tents in those areas. Shouldn’t I be eligible for a claim? Why should I have to wait? It’s been 40 years since I was there. Who can I contact? Guess if they wait long enough we all will die off like they want us to. That is what they did to the first veterans who tried to prove Agent Orange was killing them.

22. […] Agent Orange. You may be aware that the VA recently added (October 2009) new illnesses to the list of Agent Orange Service-connected diseases. If not, check out my Post from 14 Oct 09 here. […]

23. Darryl Smithon 12 Jan 2010 at 11:00 am

I have been reading about the new heart disease relating to agent Orange. I’m trying to learn more about this regarding my afib and enlarged prostrate and uncontrllable high cholesterol.

I am a disabled veteran with a large prostrate,high cholesterol that is uncontrollable plus afib.

If anyone has had these problems please email me at the above email address. Or you can call me at the phone number at
    580-480-0161.

Thank you for your time. Darryl Smith United States Marine Corp.

24. John Tonion 13 Jan 2010 at 8:23 pm

I don’t know how many of you may have seen the recent 60 Minutes piece on Vets who had “time on the ground” in Vietnam but have been denied Agent Orange benefits because they can’t prove they “set foot in Vietnam” from their service personnel records. One wonders if Congress & the VA are really advocates for the Vet or is it only about MONEY?

I am one of those denied Agent Orange related benefits for Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and Type II Diabetes because my service records don’t show that I “set foot in Vietnam” I’m a retired 0-3E Regular Officer and one would think that a sworn statement from me stating that I had been in Vietnam would hold some weight; it does not. In 1969/70, as an enlisted man, I served a tour of duty at Udorn RTAFB Thailand as a security policeman; not only did my MAC charter flight land in Vietnam in route to my tour of duty in Thailand but I was also sent out into the jungle to cover a number of aircraft crash sites in and around the AOR without TDY orders that showed where the crash sites were. Much of my duty in Thailand involved flight line and airbase perimeter patrols in areas that had been cleared using herbicides/defoliants; was Agent Orange used on the perimeters of any of the airbases in Thailand or elsewhere in Southeast Asia? Were any studies done to find out if flights out of Thailand or other Southeast Asian countries delivered the Agent Orange over Vietnam? I’ve uncovered some information on the internet that suggests that Agent Orange was at least tested in Thailand. Have the Vets that served outside of the land mass of Vietnam proper been studied to see how many are suffering or have died from the list of Agent Orange illnesses that are presumed to be service connected?

Out of frustration I even tried to see if I could obtain a MAC charter flight manifest that showed I was in Vietnam but was told that those records were destroyed after a few years.

Several years ago, in the case of Haas v. Peake, a lower court ruled that the U.S. Code & VA were “arbitrary” in awarding Agent Orange benefits only to those who “had a physical presence within the land borders of Vietnam” and not to those who had received the Vietnam Service Medal or served elsewhere in Southeast Asia. While the case was in appeal, the VA told Vets to re-submit their claims again pending disposition of the case. The case was appealed by the Government to the United States Court of Appeals and in May of 2008 and the ruling was overturned and the court ruled that VA had reasonably interpreted the U.S. Code as requiring the physical presence of the Vet in Vietnam. The United States Supreme Court declined to review the case as well. In March of 2009 I received word from the Department of Veterans Affairs that “The previous denial of service connection for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is confirmed and continued.”

Perhaps if enough of us write our members of congress another look might be taken at this issue before we are all dead!

25. Gale Dormanon 13 Jan 2010 at 8:56 pm

We constantly hear about the Vietnam Vets and Agent Orange. It is right that action has been taken to help these veterans out with the sicknesses they have developed due to their exposure or presumed exposure. In 2000 the government let information out about Agent Orange being used in Korea along the DMZ in 1968-1969. Soldiers serving during this period and a very small period Till August 31, 1971 can receive AO benefits. Agent Orange stays in the environment and concentrates over the years in the food supply chain and water. Agent Orange has a life expendency of more then 14 yrs. I served from Jan 1975- Feb 1976. I have many pictures of the area showing that little to no trees were growing or had very little vegitation. My medical records during the period of time I was in Korea were found in 2008 after many years of explaining to the VA that I had associated symptoms, which have turned into Type II Diabetes, heart Diesease and Prostate Cancer. The VA could not find these records. I found them in St. Louis at a records storage area. Each doctor that I see tells me that I am to young to have these problems. Soldiers are presumed not to have had any contact, yet In 2001 Hardship pay was given for those soldiers who permanently assigned to the forty-two camps North of Soul. Soldiers prior to this were not given Hardship pay or entrusted with the same rights that their Vetnam counterparts were. I served a full year when others in previous years had 6 month tours. I am currenly fighting for my right to the Agent Orange Benefits for my disability, that my issues are service related. Yes I spent 20 years in the service and two tours in combat areas other then Vietnam. All soldiers with any of the Agent Orange issues that served in the DMZ area should address these issues to the VA and to thier Congressman to change the law. Especially in you servered in a known Agent Orange Area. Check the VA web site for the list of camps affected. The Areas in koreas are The four combat brigades of the 2nd Infantry Division:

1-38 Infantry
    4-7th Cavalry

3rd Brigade of the 7th Infantry Division:

1-17th Infantry
    2-17th Infantry
    1-73rd Armor
    2-10th Cavalry

The VA is a great organization, but paper work gets misplaced, destroyed/shredded or not looked at due to the large work loads the VA has to undertake. If you are going to fight for your rights, keep copies of all your records. Keep viligient as you were and are a soldier of America. It is your life! Stay in communication with your representatives and let them understand we need thier support.

26. John Harrison 18 Jan 2010 at 4:13 pm

I was a Marine in VietNam in 69/69, and am currently employed by a VA Hospital. It is important to note that a VietNam veteran not only needs to apply for benefits thru the VA Benefits office, but also needs to be added to the Agent Orange Registry thru a VA Hospital to ensure he is rated correctly. Otherwise, each of these two stove-piped systems will look independently at his case.

27. Cliff Hackeron 25 Jan 2010 at 8:47 pm

My father was in country in Vietnam and is currently getting getting 30% disability for Type 2 diabetes. 10 years ago he had a heart attack and was diagnosed with the recently recognized Ischemic Heart Disease. He never filed for additional disability for Ischemic Heart Disease because it was not recognized by the VA as a symptom of Agent Orange. Now that they have recognized it, can my father get back payed from 2000? His health insurance has been astonomical and as far as I’m concerned just because they didn’t recognize it doesn’t mean he didn’t have it ten years ago. What if anything can he get back payed for? Any help/input is appreciated. Thanks

28. Dave Guerreroon 20 Feb 2010 at 10:54 am

How can the VA rate a veteran 10-20-30 percent or more (or less depending on how you look at it) for type II diabetes? You either have it or you don’t. Did it just begin? 10 percent. Has been around for a number of years? 20 percent. Are you borderling type I diabetes? 30 percent or more. What is the measuring stick here?

USMC
    NAM 68-69
    0331

29. Ken Sorensenon 23 Feb 2010 at 4:44 pm

A lot of issues above could have been resolved by using a VSO to work with you on your claim or claims. If your retired from the service or just served your time realize the VA operates best with forms and with a you can wait process; just like the military. With a VSO involved with your claim the VA will not loose your claim as the VSO holds them accountable for the receipt of the paperwork that is given to them. Although Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki decided to establish a service-connection for B cell leukemias, such as hairy cell leukemia; Parkinson’s disease; and ischemic heart disease “presumed” to be caused by agent orange; the statement was a little premature. Prior to this statement being made the VA had not developed a rating system nor has regestration been made for these diseases and therefore a “stay” has been put on awarding benifits until the rating is completed. It was said in November of 2009 that it will be a couple of months before benifits can be awarded for these diseases. It is now approaching the end of February 2010 so you can see they were refering to government months and not as we know months to be!

30. Robert Ellis Smithon 07 May 2010 at 10:57 am

On March 25, 2010, VA published a proposed regulation that will establish B-cell leukemias, such as hairy cell leukemia; Parkinson’s disease; and ischemic heart disease as associated with Agent Orange exposure. Eligible Vietnam Veterans may receive disability compensation for these diseases when the regulation becomes final. You may apply online now, so VA can begin development of your claim.

It’s getting closer to reality, guys.

31. Robert Ellis Smithon 07 May 2010 at 11:05 am

According to Tom Philpott in his article New Agent Orange Rule to Allow Retro Claims by 86,000 about 86,000 Vietnam War veterans, their surviving spouses or estates will be eligible for retroactive disability compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs — an average of 11.4 years for veterans and 9.6 years for survivors

32. glenn e. mitchellon 11 Aug 2010 at 1:24 pm

My Parkinson’s disease was diagnosed in 2004. The only difference with the family and friends in our enviroment was that I was in Viet Nam and they were not. I have pakinson’s and they do not. I can no longer work. I was a deck hand on the USS Hull DD 945 in 1966–1967. I know we were, at the minimum, in Danang Harbor. once attempting to tow a disabled tug. It was getting fired upon. An article written by a guy on the forester confirms that. I personally, took assignments on the whale boat while in Harbor for spontaneous deliveries. I would pilot it on occassion due to my familiarities of smaller boats,growing up on the coast of Florida.

I remember asking a mate one day, what’s that plane doing, twin engine prop, as I remember, it reminded me of pictures when they used to spray orange crops in rural florida, mosquitos I guess—we thought.

33. Bobby Martinon 04 Sep 2010 at 8:23 pm

Does any one know what disability percentage rating the VA will pay for Ishemic Heart Disease due to Agent Orange exposure? Bobby Martin 65-66 danang viet nam Camp tienshaw!

34. Roger P.on 16 Oct 2010 at 12:52 pm

It has been mentioned in a few articles-50%. Good luck!

35. ROBERT S. HUNTERon 21 Oct 2010 at 5:06 pm

I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes in 1995 and subsequently diagnosd with Parkinson’s Disease and Type II Diabetes with neurological manifestations and ataxic gait as well as muscle weakness in February of 2010. I served onboard USS Constellation (CV-64) on the flight deck from July of 1967 to December 1967. Though I did not serve in country Vietnam I feel that I was probably exposed to Agent Orange while flying out to join the ship on a C-2 aircraft in July ’67 that had flown in country Vietnam. This is probably a stretch but I cannot discount the fact due to my illnesses. I brought the paperwork to the VA rep in Hampton, VA in May of 2010 and he told me that I wasn’t eligible since I had not served in country.

36. Ann Ron 01 Dec 2010 at 7:38 pm

My husband passed away from Acute lymphocytic leukemia in 2001.He was in Vietnam from 1967-1969.I had my claim denied 3 years ago but recently refiled.Does anyone have any info on ALL and agent orange exposure?

37. Ken in Renoon 14 Dec 2010 at 11:31 pm

I have an extra that I think that is happening to other Vet`s.I`m 65 and a couple of years ago my teeth started breaking off at the gum line,with the nerve dead.I have had healthy teeth all my life.Anyone else?

38. Ron Stowellon 24 Jan 2011 at 9:08 pm

If you were not in Vietnam you can “prove” your presence at a Thia base by mil orders, performance reports,pay statements and such. The best thing you can do for each other is share any pictures taken on base near the flight line that shows agent orange barrels, base name and date are also key. That way one can show that AO was there and others can attest to the use of it. Eventually that will lead to compensation for exposure to troops who served in Thailand and were exposed to Agent Orange.
    I was there on the flight line by Air America working on T-28s in 1970 to 1971 and have had several symptoms since 1972. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Comment submission is for online discussion only. MOAA does not answer questions submitted via blog comment. To ask a question or get information, contact MOAA at (800)234-6622 or beninfo@moaa.org. Benefits counseling is a special MOAA Member service.