Gannett Government Media Corporation, through its military news publications — Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times – is proud to announce the 13th annual Military Times “Service Members of the Year” Award. Each publication will honor the Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine and Coast Guardsman who best embodies the finest qualities of the men and women serving in today’s U.S. military.
The award acknowledges exceptional service members who have demonstrated unusual or heretofore unrecognized honor, valor and dedication to fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen and the community in 2012. Military Times will honor these “everyday heroes” of the U.S. military for their unselfish efforts, consistently going above and beyond the call of duty to lend a hand or inspiring and motivating others.
The Overall Winner of each branch receives the following:
- A week’s trip to Washington, DC for activities and a formal awards ceremony.
- All-expenses paid attendance for 2 (transportation to/from Washington, D.C.; lodging and meals; local transportation).
- Formal awards reception prior to the ceremony, and a sponsored after-party on Capitol Hill.
- Luncheon with Military Times editors and staff reporters.
- Tour of the publishing company and newspaper printing plant.
- Professional photographs and video of the awards ceremony.
- A feature in the Military Times newspapers and on the Military Times Service Members of the Year Web site.
Nominations are now open at www.militarytimes.com/smoy. The deadline for nominations is extended to May 12, 2013.
Nominations must include:
- Nominator’s name, address, commercial phone number & e-mail address.
- Nominee’s name, address, commercial phone number & e-mail address.
- Nominee’s current unit commander’s name, email address & commercial phone number.
- In 300 words or so, please describe why nominee deserves this award for their actions in 2012. Nothing fancy. Just make it legible.
- Names and contact information of 3 people who can verify the nominee’s achievements.
- Nominees must be Active Duty, Guard or Reserve through August 31, 2013.
Nominations may be submitted:
By Mail to: Military Times “Service Members of the Year” Award, Gannett Government Media Corporation, 6883 Commercial Drive, Springfield, VA, USA 22159
By Fax to: 703.642.7325, attn: Military Times “Service Members of the Year” Award.