Last updated on October 7th, 2022
On this page, I present to you my top 3 picks among ceiling mounted air purifiers. These air purifiers were selected among the wide range of products and all of them are made in the USA and have many features to offer.
Without further adieu let’s take a look at the best ceiling mounted air purifiers in 2022!
Tracs TM950 Ceiling Mounted UV Air Purifier
Tracs TM950 is the best ceiling mounted air purifier right now, hands off. It features 3 stage air filtration system:
- 1 inch pleated antimicrobial pre-filter Merv 10 to remove gases and odors
- 22 inch UV-C Light to destroy bacteria and diseases, including Human Coronavirus (article). It also prevents mold and bacteria growth on the HEPA filter, increasing the lifespan.
- Certified true HEPA H13 medical-grade filter capable of capturing 99.99% of particles down to 0.3 microns. It is safely sealed within the unit to prevent
This filtration system ensures that viruses, bacteria, dangerous particles, mold, smoke, volatile organic compounds and other dangerous particles are trapped and destroyed in a space where the Tracs TM950 HEPA UV air purifier is installed. After several air changes the general air quality in a room increases tremendously.
This air cleaning system can be installed in three ways:
- Mounted into a 2×4 drop ceiling
- As a standalone air scrubber
- Mounted to exposed return ductwork
In all these instances the Tracs TM950 can act as an upper room Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI) air purifier with a medical-grade True HEPA H13 filter. It is proven to be very effective to prevent viruses (Covid-19 included) and bacteria to spread around the room. Studies: 1, 2.
Additionally, the TM950 can be used as a negative air machine.
The settings panel for this air purifier easily mounts to a wall, providing easy access to controls.
Nowadays Tracs TM950 is installed in laboratories, hospitals, gyms, offices, kitchens, operating and emergency rooms, homeless shelters, churches, classrooms and many other places. It can be also installed in residential homes to reduce disease spreading and sanitize the air overall.
The only downside of the TM950 is its price tag, but for the benefits, this air purifier offers this is a fair deal. It is truly the best ceiling mounted air purifier in 2022.
Tracs TM500 Ceiling Mounted HEPA & UV Air Purifier
Tracs TM500 is a cheaper and less powerful ceiling mounted air purifier compared to the previously reviewed TM950. It has lower airflow (500 vs 950), but features the same 3-stage air purification process: pre-filtering air with an antimicrobial filter, destroying viruses and bacteria with UV-C Light and trapping particles with a True HEPA H13 filter.
The only other major difference is mounting options: TM550 mounts in 2×2 ceilings only and can’t be used as a standalone air system.
The Tracs TM500 works best in large living rooms and classrooms, cleaning and freshening the air.
You may also be interested in Portable Tracs air purifiers that utilize medical-grade True HEPA air filtration and UV-light.
Purifan Ceiling Mounted Air Purifier
Purifan is a cheaper alternative to Tracs TM950 and TM500. It doesn’t kill viruses or bacteria but offers several stage filtration for gases and odors. Take a look at the filters utilized in the Purifan air purifier:
- Polyester Pre-filter
- Activated Carbon Filter
- Nano Particle Filter
- HEPA Filter
- Activated Carbon Filter
After the several-stage filtration system air is much cleaner and lacks smells. The best places to mount and use Purifan are bathrooms, kitchens, and classrooms. The filters effectively absorb all kinds of odors like cigarette smoke, pet odors, urine, diapers, various cooking smells and so on.
Thanks to its very powerful fan motor (which operates at 200 rpm), the Purifan can deliver 4 air changes per hour in 4100 square feet of space! In smaller spaces it is even more effective. For example, in 500 square feet room with an 8 ft. ceiling, it circulates air every 2 minutes! A remarkable result for the price!
You can calculate air changes for your room using this ACH calculator. Just enter airflow (measured in cubic feet per minute, CFM), your room size and ceiling height.
On the downside, the unit is made from plastic and its overall lifespan is quite low compared to the Tracs air purifiers. The Purifan company offers a lifetime warranty, but a consumer is only eligible for it after a subscription for filters delivery.
Overall, Purifan is a great choice for odor removal: it is easily mounted to the ceiling (it comes with mounting brackets, screws 1/4 x 1/3, mounting screw lock washers and leveling washers), features a powerful motor for the price and filters are easy to replace.
P.S. At a time, Honeywell also offered a decent ceiling mounted air purifier (model F90A1050), but nowadays it’s outdated, pricey (~$3000 the last time I checked) and is discontinued by the manufacturer anyway.
Ceiling Mounted Air vs Portable Purifiers
Ceiling mounted air purifiers have a few advantages over the usual portable air purifiers. I explain them down below.
- Ceiling mounted air cleaners have way more powerful motors and provide several times better air circulation, hence faster air cleaning and better overall performance.
- They are capable of cleaning the air in the whole house. These air purifiers can connect to an existing HVAC system and filter out particles from the air that comes through this system, cleaning 100% of the air inside the room. Portable air purifiers usually clean air in smaller spaces, instead of a whole area.
- All ceiling air purifiers use large, true HEPA, medical-grade filters. They remove dangerous toxins, gases, allergens, viruses, bacteria, dust, pollen, smoke and other odors. These filters are manufactured to clean air 24 hours nonstop. Thus, the air inside is always clean and fresh.
The major disadvantage of ceiling air purifiers is their price. However, most of the time they repay in the long term by providing clean air under any circumstances.