Last updated on November 26th, 2021
IQAir is Switzerland-based air purifiers manufacturer that was established back in 1963. It is well known both in Europe and the US for their quality-made air cleaners filters and appliances for air measurement.
Today IQAir have several air purifying models on the US market: IQAir HealthPro Plus, IQAir HealthPro Compact, IQAir GC MultiGas and IQAir Item. We review and compare them on this page.
Air Purifiers for Home: IQAir HealthPro Plus vs HealthPro Compact vs GC MultiGas
|Room Coverage (4 ACH)|
|Size(D x W x H)|
|Main reason to buy|
IQAir Air Purifier Reviews
IQAir HealthPro and GC MultiGas air purifiers aren’t your conventional air cleaners you can get for 200-300 USD per piece. Most of air purifiers on the market utilize one of the filtration technology listed below:
- Cheap filter that does almost nothing and costs 50 or so bucks;
- 2-stage with pre-filter that captures big particles (hair, dander) and True HEPA filter that captures dangerous particles. You can find these air purifiers in the range of 100-200 US dollars. They are semi-decent, some of them do their job in small to medium rooms capturing dust or pet hair. But they do not remove odor or VACs.
- 3-stage with pre-filter, True HEPA filter and activated carbon filter for reducing odors. Efficiency of this air purification technology completely depends on quality of the filters and sometimes the genuine one is hard to find. Honeywell is well-known for the strategy of discontinuing the products and consumers often find themselves buying generic replacement filters that do fit the unit model but are of poor quality and don’t clean the air properly.
- All of the above plus ionizer that releases ozone. It does freshen the air but a person with asthma or any other breathing condition would suffer from that immensely. If you have any disease that affected by ozone quantity in the air above average you might feel nausea, dizziness etc.
Obviously, there are some air purifiers that utilize their own tech (like Airdog) or feature several stage air filtration (like NuWave Oxypure), but most of the air cleaners are one of the type we listed above.
So what makes IQAir HealthPro Series and CG MultiGas different from all other air purifiers? In short, all of them have 3-stage air cleaning technology that utilizes advanced filters and they do not release ozone. At all!
These filters include:
- Pre-Filter PreMax F8 (S) (HealthPro Series) or GC HyperHEPA Pre-Filter H11 (S) (CG MultiGas) which traps fine and coarse particles, dust and pet hair being the primary examples. It also protects subsequent filters from being over polluted thus extending their lifespan. These filter are made from non-woven glass microfiber and additionally pleated for high capacity. They require replacement each 18 months if the air purifier used 10 hours per day on 3rd speed. If used more often at a higher speed lifespan is reduced.
- Odor & Gas Filter (V5-Cell Filter MG on HealthPro Plus and GC MultiGas Cartridges on GC MultiGas Air Purifier). They remove a wide range of odors and volatile organic compounds from the air with granulated activated carbon and impregnated activated alumina. Not available on the HealthPro Compact. Require replacement 2 – 2,5 years.
- HyperHEPA Filter H12/13 (L) (HealthPro Series) or GC Post-Filter Sleeve Set (CG MultiGas). At this final stage of air filtration the filter captures fine & ultra-fine particles up to 0.003 microns. The HyperHEPA medical-grade filter (these are used in surgical theaters) is made from non-woven glass microfiber with non off-gassing separators. GC Post-Filter used in the IQAir CG MultiGas utilizes electrostatically charged fiber to filter out dangerous particles from the air.
To move air through filters IQAir purifiers use centrifugal and backward curved fan motor with thermal protector. It can run at 6 different speeds and is also approved for non-stop use.
All IQAir air cleaning units have 320-degree air delivery without producing much noise (59 decibels at the maximum speed). Energy consumption is quite low at low to medium speeds (27, 53, 92 Watt) but jumps to 215 Watt at the maximum level.
All of them have air an quality indicator, a remote control to control air purifier operations and a filter replacement indicator.
The IQAir company provides 5-year warranty on all their air purifiers. It can be extended to 10 years if a buyer registers the product at the official website.
At the end the IQAir purifiers release clean and breathable air free of odors and chemicals.
Major Differences between IQAir HealthPro and GC MultiGas
But what are the differences between IQAir HealthPro Plus, IQAir HealthPro Compact and GC MultiGas? Frankly, not that many.
The only difference between the IQAir HealthPro Plus and the Compact model is the absence of the V5-Cell MG odor & gas filter on the latter. If you don’t have pets or aren’t planning to use the air purifier in our kitchen you might not need it at all. Pre-filter will do the job capturing large particles whereas HyperHEPA will eliminate the tiny ones.
The difference between IQAir HealthPro and GC MultiGas is more noticeable. Despite being the pricier model, CADR of the GC MultiGas is actually lower: 300 CFM to 330 CFM. It means it can circulate the air slower compared to the cheaper IQAir HealthPro Plus. This is definitely a major (thankfully, only one) flaw: paying over $1000 for an air purifier so it will have less fan power compared to the cheaper model of the same manufacturer.
Lower airflow effectively reduced room coverage from 620 square feet to 560 sq. ft. if we want to ventilate space 4 times per hour. This number is known as air changes per hour (ACH) and we cover this on our ACH calculator & recommendations page.
Despite reduced room coverage, the IQAir GC MultiGas has the same specs in terms of power consumption (calculator for electricity use), noise level and measurements. Fully loaded it is heavier though: 45 vs 35 pounds but that due to different filters it utilizes.
So the major difference between IQAir HealthPro and GC MultiGas is the filters they use to clean air. Here is a small table that explains the filter difference:
|HealthPro Plus||GC MultiGas|
|Pre-Filter Type||PreMax Filter F8
||GC HyperHEPA Pre-Filter H11
|Odor & Gas Filter Type||V5-Cell Filter MG
||GC MultiGas Cartridges
|HEPA Filter Type||Medical-grade HyperHEPA Filter H12/13
||GC Post-Filter Sleeve Set
In short, the IQAir GC MultiGas eliminates smaller particles at higher efficiency compared to the HealthPro Plus. If you live close to highway or any other high-polluted area, have pets, allergy or asthma this is a better air cleaning unit overall.
Benefits of the IQAir HealthPro Plus
- Efficient and powerful air purifier
- 3-stage air cleaning technology without emitting ozone
- Filter lifespan
Benefits of the IQAir HealthPro Compact
- Utilizes the same design & powerful fan with high 330 CFM airflow
Benefits of the IQAir GC MultiGas
- The best at removing odors, fumes and VOCs
- Efficient in removing dangerous chemicals and bacteria
- Eliminates asthma triggers and other allergens
- Releases clean air without ozone emission
IQAir Item Personal Air Purifier
IQAir Item is an award-winning air purifier for personal use (Global Innovations Award 2019) and small rooms in general. It can’t be compared to the HealthPro or GC MultiGas due to the small size and power. But despite this it has several benefits to it:
- It is lightweight and small, can be put on a table or taken anywhere you travel to;
- IQAir Item is very energy efficient, consuming 3.4 Watts at the maximum speed. You even won’t notice the presence on your electricity bills;
- Very quiet even at the fastest 3rd speed;
- Excellent for asthma sufferers or allergic people as it doesn’t have an ionizer and doesn’t produce ozone.
On the downside, IQAir Item is not cheap (almost $400) and quality of the materials could be way better, especially plug. It’s not cool when you’re far away from home and something breaks without a possibility to repair it quickly.